Monday, July 21, 2014

Apricot Fruit Leather from My Tree

Yesterday I posted a photo on Instagram  of me up a tree picking apricots! I went over to my family's house to celebrate my dad's birthday and I went out back to my favorite tree to pick my favorite fruit!
I've shared my tree with you before..  I even have a little tree that grew from one of the seeds on my front porch! This is the tree I talked to while growing up... which is where Talk2thetrees comes from. 
So yesterday it was a lot of fun to pick as many apricots as I could. Sterling was at the bottom of the tree holding a bag for me while I climbed up and stuffed my pockets as full as I could until I climbed back to the bottom to empty my pockets. 
I know this tree like the back of my hand, so climbing it isn't a a problem for me... It was something I did every day while growing up, so it's always fun to climb it again and again. 
I collected almost a full bag of apricots and have decided to make fruit leather with my oven. 

I'm going to do my best to not eat it all in one sitting... especially because it takes so long to make! 

Here is my recipe for Apricot Fruit Leather

2 cups Apricots (about 13 small ones)
1/2 cup of sugar 
1 tsp lemon juice


Remove the pits, and mash up the apricots and put in a sauce pan. Add the lemon juice and the sugar and cook on low until the sugar dissolves. The lemon juice keeps the fruit from turning brown. You can add more or less sugar depending on your taste. Once the sugar dissolves put your mixture in a blender and purify it until it's liquid.
Line a baking sheet in plastic wrap, and pour your apricot mixture onto the saran wrapped baking sheet, leaving about an inch from the ends of the saran wrap. 
Bake your fruit leather at your lowest oven setting for about 4-6 hours, or until it's no longer tacky. 
It's good to prop your oven open slightly with a spoon or some tongs. 

In the summer heat it seems impractical to keep your oven on during the day... but so far it hasn't heated up my house! 

Enjoy some delicious fruit leather. I know I will! 






View More:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
Be sure to leave a link to YOUR blog so I can come say hi! xoxo