Tuesday, August 27, 2013

How To Make A Ring Display Box

So it's been a while, I promised to post the 3 DIY projects in a week, but life happened. 
Well, if you are like me, you've got a lot of rings.
 Like a lot. It's almost ridiculous.

 Here is a cheap and easy way of storing your rings!
 This way they are all on display, in their proper place. 
Plus, these look at feel like the real deal. 
I'm sad I didn't make one sooner! 


You will need:
Fabric of your choice. I choose velvet, cause it was on sale and looked nice.
Sponge Curlers  (The big ones work best!)
Old box I had an old jewelry box laying around
Hot Glue Gun
Lace or other decorations


First you are going to take the plastic part out of the curlers. And like I said, try to use the bigger ones. I decided to make two cases, one with larger curlers and one with smaller curlers. The smaller curlers don't create a deep enough pocket, so the rings will barely stay in there. So, if you are deciding between using large curlers, or small.. pick large!
Next you are going to glue the fabric to your box. It's a little hard to explain, but I took pictures every step of the way. You are gluing the fabric into the box so the "inside" of the fabric is facing up.

Depending on the size of your box, you may need more, or less, or two and a half. My box fit two almost perfectly. So next you glue down curlers, right up against the fabric. Then lay down a line of glue. Fold the fabric over the curler and press onto the line of glue.
Each time pressing everything together nice and tight. Repeat this quick easy process until the box is full! If you want you can tuck the edges of the fabric in with glue after each row... or you can be like me and do that all at the end.
I waited until the end, and stuck glue around the edge and pushed the fabric in there. And that's basically it! Super easy, and totally useful.
I decided to make two for myself. The other one was a little more shallow so I used smaller curlers, but they don't hold that big of rings, so that's my smaller ring holder. I also decided I wanted them to match the necklace holder and the bracelet holder, so I glued some pretty teal lace over the sides.

This ring holder has been awesome. 
In fact, having all over my jewelry organized has been so good. 
Everything in it's place, displayed and ready to wear! 
No more untangling necklaces and searching for rings. 

View More:
 

5 comments:

  1. This is so smart! I would have never thought of using curlers. I have only ever seen DIY ring holders like these made by tediously rolling fabric and then gluing fabric over the tops of the rolls. Your way is much easier and I'm definitely going to use it. Thanks for sharing this great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this with us! Also, black foam ring holders (without frames) are very cheap (check ebay). You could get creative with the box/frame and just insert your foam ring holder inside (this is what I did for craft fairs).

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's awesome! and genius!! lol espically if you had those old curlers in the back scary corner of you bathroom drawers! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is actually I really cool idea, even though I don't have so many rings^^ But definitely inspiring ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome idea!!! Now I know what to do with my old hidden Sponge Curlers!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!
Be sure to leave a link to YOUR blog so I can come say hi! xoxo