Sunday, March 24, 2013

Out Of The Darkness


I've got another great cause and guest post today. 

Meet Janice!  


I am walking in the Out of the Darkness Overnight walk this June 1-2 in Washington, DC. The walk is put on by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) and runs from sunset to sunrise. Each walker agrees to raise $1,000 for AFSP to fund research, education, and advocacy for survivors of suicide and those suffering from mental illness like depression. Because suicide is the leading cause of death for college-aged students, full-time students like myself agree to raise a minimum of $700.
I am participating because my brother committed suicide a little over two years agfo. I used to respond to people that it was okay, but it’s not. I know this wasn’t meant to happen, and it should not have. No one should ever get to that point. But the truth is that approximately 38,000 Americans die from suicide each year, and the majority of them suffer from depression, which is one of the most treatable psychiatric illnesses.
This cause means more to me than I can express, and I would greatly appreciate any donations given to the cause, but more importantly I want to raise awareness of this issue, because it affects many more than we are aware of.



This  cause hits home for me.. I've struggled with depression myself, and I work with kids who have mental illnesses like depression and many of them struggled or struggle with suicide. 
Janice has until June to raise her goal, so if you can't donate, share this page or her donation page on your facebook or twitter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
Be sure to leave a link to YOUR blog so I can come say hi! xoxo