Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Making Lipstick from Crayons! Super Easy!

I woke up pretty sad today. I went to bed stressed out, and woke up even more stressed. I went back to sleep and had a terrible nightmare! Today has been rough. But I've been planning on posting a fun DIY today, so I'm still going to do it. 
This weekend, I made lip color!
Out of crayons!  


 I had seen stuff on it before but never thought to try it until I passed a box of sparkly crayons while I was out shopping and thought how fun it could be! Especially because I can't seem to find a shade of plum that I like... And usually when I can't find something that I like, I make my own.

This little DIY is super simple, and addicting. I would have made more if I had the little containers! 

You will need: 
Containers
A Few Drops of Essential Oils (Optional) 
1/2 tbsp Cocoa Butter or Shea Butter 
1/2 tbsp Grape seed oil, or any other oil you'd like. I even used strait Vitamin E oil 
Crayons (non-toxic) 
Candle
Metal Ladle 

You can use a double boiler if you want, but a ladle makes more sense when making just one.


I didn't measure really. I kind of just guessed how much butter and oil to put in. Just be sure not to use too much oil, it can make the lip balm too greasy and not stay on as much. 


First, you melt the oil and the butter together. I held my metal ladle over a candle. It's nice because it makes just one bot of lip color at a time.  You can add a drop or two of an essential oil if you'd like. If you add any flavoring or scents, be sure it's oil based, not water based. 

Once everything is mostly melted add your crayons.

I added the equivalent of one whole crayon. 
By breaking 3 crayons and using 1/3 of each color to achieve the desired color.

 Let everything melt together so there are no more clumps.. 
Then pour into your cute little pots!  


Put your lip balm in the fridge for about an hour to set. 


The crayons I used had some glitter in them, so it has a nice shimmer to it. 
Adding gold or silver will help give it a nice metallic sheen, and using black will help darken the colors. I even made a batch of lip gloss that has only a tiny bit of silver and a tiny bit of pink. When you put it on, the color is barely noticeable and looks just like a frosting gloss.  

Each little pot of lip color takes about 4-5 minutes to make. 
You can combine all sorts of colors or use one solid crayon to make one solid color. 
I used the stuff I had around the house, so this little project didn't cost much at all!
And the colors look great on too! 
Don't mind me.. I'm wearing my painting clothes.



Finally a plum lip balm!
And I love it. 
I've made 3 so far... as soon as I get my hands on some more little containers I'll be making even more! 



View More:
 

13 comments:

  1. I made some and used a weekly pill container it worked out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um... This... is... AMAZING. GORGEOUS LIP COLOR! Do you know if you can use something outside of Cocoa Butter or Shea Butter? I don't have either, but I want to try this before next month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might be able to use coconut oil, but that gets super liquidy in the hotter months.. It could be any sort of butter that is solid when room temp. I googled some alternatives to shea butter and found some stuff. You could see if any of it is in your house!! OR make the trip to ME and use my cocoa butter. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, that is SO cool. How does it wear after a while?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It usually stays on pretty well. The key is to not over do it on the oils that can make it greasy and wear off quickly. I noticed after letting it sit for a full day it's consistency was that of regular chapstick! I also used vitamin E oil, so it's really good for my lips too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, as good as rubbing crayons on my lips can be.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Well, I'm sold :) Very awesome idea and can't wait to try it since we have plenty of crayon ends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be careful... it's so easy and addicting. I was tearing the house apart for little containers to put MORE in cause I wanted to make more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely love that plum color; it looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you search on Ebay for empty cosmetic containers, you'll find some that are just right. http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-New-Empty-Clear-Plastic-Cosmetic-Containers-5-Gram-Size-Sz-Pot-Jars-Clear-Lot-/291066446045?pt=US_Makeup_Bags_Cases&hash=item43c4e980dd

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is not a good idea. Crayon pigments are toxic no matter what they say on the box. Also they use a very poor grade of wax to make them. Just bite your pretty lips.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!
Be sure to leave a link to YOUR blog so I can come say hi! xoxo