Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Get to know Shawna from Scrawny Girl!

Take TWO! Sorry guys.. There was something fishy going on with the HTML in my last post. Ughhh such computer problems lately!! 

Hey guys! Today's post is to get to know Shawna from Scrawny Girl a bit better. 
Shawna is on the blog this week giving away an adorable doll.  It's been a lot of fun working with her, and getting to know her. Read through her interview, see what fuels her desire to create and take a peek into her life! 





Please give us a brief bio, where are you from, who you are and how you started in this field? 

Hi! My name is Shawna and I live in dusty Lubbock, Texas with my bass playing husband, darling daughter Amelia, and troublesome pup Loki. I love coffee, dying my hair, reading manga, thrifting, Dolly Parton, collecting/listening to vinyl, and anything cute! 
I started out making dolls a few years ago as Christmas gifts for my nieces (I have 6). At the time I was jobless, so I decided to make everyone's gifts from things we had around the house. Being a craft supply hoarder, I had plenty of vintage fabric to make dolls. I didn't know much about sewing, and just watched a few YouTube videos. 

Here are the 1st two dolls I ever made.

When did you first discover your creative talents?

I think I was born this way, and it's just the way I think. As a girl I remember turning the field behind our house into a maze, and our playhouse into Laura Ingalls Wilder's home. I was always drawing, especially Lisa Frank inspired pieces and unicorns. I'm that person who always wants to try new things, whether it's being in a punk band, teaching myself to knit, or dying my hair blue. 


What inspires you to keep going and how do you keep yourself motivated? 
A passion to create keeps me going, it's ingrained into me and not creating makes me depresso-girl. I also enjoy making my life cute, bright, and fun; and letting it spill over into other people lives. 

 Making goals keeps me motivated, even if I don't ever complete them. It is more about the journey/process for me. Although, a cup of coffee and a cupcake never hurt.


How would you describe your style? 

My personal style could probably be described as cat lady chic, who might be in a 90's alternative band. I wear lots of flannel, band tees, vintage pearl snaps, big glasses, tights with holes in them, leopard print, hats, and Converse. 



My artistic style is very cutesy/Kawaii. I am heavily influenced by Japanese anime and music (mostly Kyary Pamyu Pamyu). I like to keep my illustrations simple, clean, and cartoonish; that you can also see in my dolls. 



Describe yourself in 5 words.

Quirky, cute, geeky, fearless, creative



Share with us something funny that has happened to you recently. 

I spend most of my days just laughing at my daughter, she has the funniest personality and makes the funniest faces!

Anything else you would like to add? Favorite quote? Words of advice?

My favorite quote is from a poem by Robert Frost: "The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep..." If I ever got a tattoo it would be the words 'miles to go'.

Be sure to enter the giveawawy! 








And check out her links! 
Blog







View More:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
Be sure to leave a link to YOUR blog so I can come say hi! xoxo