Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Gluten Free Chicken Noodle Soup

 There really isn't anything better than homemade chicken noodle soup. 
I'm not talking about opening a cap and dumping it into a bowl and putting it in the microwave.
I mean the beautiful, warm, freshly cooked vegetables with stove cooked chicken in a spicy broth kind.

I'm gluten free, so it's rare to get chicken noodle soup from a can anyways.
So, if I want some, I've got to make it myself.

I've made this soup plenty of times when I've been sick, and it's always exactly what my body wants. 
I was feeling a bit sick again last night, so I made my soup.
I spent the night sick, and now I'm glad I've got my chicken noodle soup to look forward to. 

So, here is the recipe for my Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.
It's real easy, and real delicious.

You will need: 

Vegetables
Any vegetables really, I like broccoli, celery, potatoes, onions, carrots, kale, and sometimes even squash, peas or corn. This one is totally up to you. 

Chicken

Broth
You can use either chicken or vegetable broth. I buy mine in the 32 oz jugs, and I use two. 

Spices
I use creole seasoning, garlic, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, and chili powder.

Gluten Free Noodles (Fettucini noodles are my favorite kind for this soup) 
If you aren't gluten free, you could use any noodles you'd like, I think egg noodles would work.

Beef or Chicken bullion
Just a teaspoon can add a bit of extra flavor. 


Im not going to tell you how many stalks of broccoli to chop, or how much chicken to cook. 
A lot of this is preference and if you want extra soup, you'll have it! 

First you are going to chop up your vegetables into smaller than bite sized pieces. I don't know how much I use of each, this is all preference for you. I personally like a lot of celery, and Sterling likes potatoes. So, I just chop up whatever vegetables we feel we want. 
I try to make a pretty even ratio.


While you are doing that you want to be cooking your chicken with a little bit of olive oil, garlic, and cayenne pepper. You want the chicken chopped up in bite sized pieces or smaller.

I normally make about as much chicken as I make celery. 
So, the chicken is at equal ratio to the other vegetables too. 

But again, how much chicken is up to you. 

When the chicken is cooking and the vegetables are chopped it's time to cook the vegetables.
I put water in a pot with the vegetables and I start to just boil them.

While my vegetables are cooking, I put my cooked chicken in my slow cooker with my broth.

I like to use a slow cooker, it doesn't heat up the house the same way my stove does. 
So, now in my slow cooker, I've got chicken cooking in chicken broth.
I cook it all on low.

I put some spices into the broth.
When I have a cold, I like to use a lot of spices, and cayenne pepper is generally just good for you.
So, I add some spices to taste, if you don't like spice, you can always just add garlic and salt.


 Once my vegetables are tender and mostly 90% cooked it's time to add them to the pot. 
I add just the vegetables first. 
If I notice that my soup needs more "broth" I add water from the cooked vegetables.

Cooking the vegetables together the way I did makes a bit of a vegetable broth that helps add flavor and more liquid to the soup. So, I'll add some of our vegetable broth until I feel like I have enough soup.

 I'll keep that all cooking on low while I make the pasta. 
I like to make the pasta separately and add it in later.

 This is gluten free pasta I like to use. 
It says it doesn't get mushy, but let's be real. What pasta inside a soup doesn't get mushy.
This one breaks the least amount, and even if it DOES break up in the soup, it still tastes great. 

Once my pasta is mostly cooked, I will add it to the pot as well. 
Then, I'll stir everything together.
I do a few taste tests, add more spices, or garlic if I feel it needs it.

And then I put the lid on and let everything just cook together a little longer.
I cook them all separately, so that the potato doesn't taste like a noodle, and the noodles don't taste like chicken. Everything keeps their original flavor. A carrot tastes like a carrot, and the chicken isn't boiled. 
And everything keeps a separate consistency. 
No one wants to bite into chicken that is actually a potato.

Since it's essentially cooked when you put it into the slow cooker, it's ready to eat whenever.
I like to let the noodles get a bit mushy and the vegetables cook even more before I eat it.
I normally leave it in the slow cooker for about 2 hours on low. 

It stores great in the fridge and is the best lunch ever.
It's great for when you are sick with a cold or even the stomach flu, 
or when you just want delicious chicken noodles soup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
Be sure to leave a link to YOUR blog so I can come say hi! xoxo