Thursday, August 14, 2014

Thursday Threads - Grow Wings

Today's outfit is simple, just a dress and a shawl, but our location, the lighting, and the wind made things less simple. Every couple of minutes the wind scooped up my shawl and allowed it to dance around me. We truly only needed 3 good photos, but ended up taking plenty because of the great combo of wind, location and lighting. 

On a different not.... I had the hardest time being comfortable wearing such a short skirt! I grew up in a community and religion where the skirt had to be an inch above the knee! Even finger length was "too short." If you notice in some of these photos, my skirt is still past my finger tips, but my legs are freakishly long, making this dress seem even shorter! I'm learning to embrace my life and my choice to wear whatever I'd like, without "putting dirty thoughts into the boy's heads." as I was taught as a child. 

One thing I've learned about myself this year, is I am indeed a feminist. I believe in equal rights between genders. I'm not going to get into the whole "stop calling it feminist" deal, I've lost too many "friends" over arguments about if it should be called feminism, or humanism or whatever else you want to call it. I believe in female empowerment so both genders can have equal rights.  I believe a girl can wear whatever she'd like because a boy should have control over his own thoughts and actions. Society shouldn't teach girls it's their fault for getting assaulted or raped.. especially because a skirt was too short. Anyways, didn't meant to go off on that mini rant.. but there is a fear in me for wearing something so short sometimes. A feeling of guilt brought on from growing up in a religion, and a fear placed on me from society, that if my skirt is too short it's my fault for getting attention from men. 
And I want to say fuck that. 

Grow your wings my friends. 
Don't let others tell you what to do, how to dress or who to be. 
We are human beings, with free will and infinite possibilities.
It's time to grow wings, and be free. 


















Dress- Romwe
Shawl - Thrifted 



View More:
 

3 comments:

  1. All the photos are beautiful, but the first one took my breath away! Fly free! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with the statement that women should be allowed to wear whatever they want without having to worry about whether or not people will be judgmental or if a man cannot control himself. That shawl is so pretty and perfect for summer

    ReplyDelete
  3. That shawl is gorgeous, love the ring, and you look stunning.

    I LOVED your rant. You were able to articulate so clearly exactly how I feel about feminism. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!
Be sure to leave a link to YOUR blog so I can come say hi! xoxo