Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Chalk The Block!


Last weekend I was able to attend Chalk The Block art festival here in Provo.
 Riverwoods was kind enough to donate a spot to our school!
 It landed right on Parent's week, so I got to take a couple of the student's whose parents weren't coming.

We left school bright and early and checked in. We got free t-shirts, backpacks and chalk.
Then we walked over to our art space. We were given a huge spot to work with.
I don't think my students anticipated the work we were about to do.

 
We chose to represent our school with our mascot, 
and we decided to make the background look very Van Gogh like.

I explained we should have the sun be warm colors, and the sky be cool colors. 
We practiced on the sun first and once the kids got in the groove of blending the colors and layering we started working on the sky. It was hot, and we were very dirty. 
People passed us by and "ooohed and awwed" and I think that was a huge factor that kept the boys going.
Around noon I started on the eagle while they finished the sky, 
I soon had to run to parent teacher conferences, I didn't like leaving the project! 
I told the kids I would be back as soon as possible.. 

 
I showed up to parent teacher conference covered in chalk. 
And as soon as I didn't have a line waiting to talk to me, I bolted back to the project.

I left it when it was about 70% done,
and came back to see the other staff and the students had done so much!
I was jumping up and down from excitement!
I was so proud of what we accomplished!

I kept saying, "GUYS!!!" and "AHH YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING!"
And I meant every word!




We technically had 2 days to finish it, but we were only able to do it for 6 hours.
I was so impressed with my students.
I still am! 

They were dirty, and tired, but they had a great attitude and have been asking me for pictures ever since.

Here are some of my other favorite chalk art. 
I am a little biased and I think ours was the best.










Yeah, I'm so very impressed with the students and staff who helped. 
We had the principal helping in his bowtie at one point.
Other teachers and staff came down to cheer us on.
And after took some photos of us.

I of course was BEAMING in all photos.
My students on the other hand didn't crack a smile,
because, you know, cool teenagers don't smile.

23 comments:

  1. ummmmmm the detail in this is INCREDIBLE!! i have to admit, at first i wasn't expecting much... i dont know why.... but after i saw what you guys created i was FLOORED! so so so incredible, i honestly can't even believe that is done with chalk! so cool, you guys did such an excellent job!

    xx, kara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly wasn't expecting much either! I hadn't planned too much, I think that's why the end result was so astounding!

      Delete
  2. I love it! :D Chalk art is so freaking cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! And I think it converted the students I worked with too! They won't stop talking about how they want to make more!

      Delete
  3. AH!!!! Holy crap!!! These are all amazing! I love your school's one as well as the Doctor Who! So much talent! I'm jealous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! The doctor Who one was awesome.. just because it's Doctor Who!

      Delete
  4. I love it! And the Girl with the Pearl Earring, did James Christensen do it?
    Your team did an amazing job and I know this will be a big boost for your kids.
    Makes me homesick for Utah!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too sure who did that one.. but it is amazing!

      Delete
  5. Oh my God, this is incredible! Puts my chalk sudoku puzzles to shame haha. What grade of students do you teach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I teach high school students and jr high.. so students 12-17.

      Delete
  6. Amazing! Beautiful creation...you guys should definately be proud. Looks like a fun event, wish we had something cool like that where I live.
    Loosecannons-rhea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just started doing the chalk festival here, I think it's going to catch on other places too!

      Delete
  7. Amazing! I'm really sad that we missed yours. I also wish we had gone Saturday Night too because when we were there Friday, so many weren't done yet, but at least most of the artists where there to talk too. You should be very proud of your students! They did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, most finished on Saturday, ours was furthest from Bajio, and near the street.

      Delete
  8. Your art work is stunning! =) So fun to make it on the street! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is so awesome!!!! so happy for you, you needed a little positive activity in your life!! im also a weeeee bit jealous! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work! My boyfriend does the Chalk It Up event every Labor Day here in Sacramento, CA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I didn't know there was one in Sacramento! I used to live there too!

      Delete
  11. Oh my god. That is so amazing. Love that Mumford and Sons quote.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!
Be sure to leave a link to YOUR blog so I can come say hi! xoxo