Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What Dogs Can Teach Us

Last week I could tell the dogs were a bit stir crazy.
We decided to load them up in the car and take them up the canyons.
My doggies love adventure just like me,
though this outing was more for them. 
We got to a big open space and let them run and be free.
 I apologize for the above shot.. So does Wicket.

I watched them run and play, and I thought how great would it be to be a dog?!
Dogs can teach us so much.. 
Mowgli taught me to forgive quickly.
One day I was very very mad at Mowgli. 
He wasn't listening to me, or he had just done a bad potty in the house.. 
I don't remember.
But I yelled at him, and he was so sad and scared.
I felt incredibly bad.. I sat down next to him and said, "I'm sorry."
I opened my arms and patter my lap to let him know I still love him.
He immediately perked up his ears, wagged his tail and started licking my face.
I was forgiven, without needing to beg for it.


Wicket teaches me to be a bit more cautious.
He is the scardiest puppy I've ever met. 
The sound of opening a can of soda makes him jump!
He thinks very thoroughly before he acts.
He doesn't dart out places when he is unsure of anything.
I tend to be very spontaneous, I could use a lesson of caution from little Wicket.


Charlie teaches me to not be ashamed of myself. 
Charlie is in the way 98% of the time.
He does weird things, like lick the floors,
make weird gross noises, and even weirder grosser smells.
And when you say, "Oh Charlie... stop licking the floor." 
Or "Charlie! You stink! Go to bed!!" 
He looks at you with almost a smile.. 
and you know he is thinking.. 
"I am who I am!" as he trots off to his bed.

Then I found this little poem, I just had to share.

 If dogs were teachers, you would learn stuff like....

· When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
· Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
· Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
· When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.
· Let others know when they've invaded your territory.
· Take naps.
· Stretch before rising.
· Run, romp, and play daily.
· Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
· Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
· On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
· On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
· When you're happy, dance around & wag your entire body.
· No matter how often you're scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing and pout...run right back and make friends.
· Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
· Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.
· Stop when you have had enough.
· Be loyal.
· Never pretend to be something you're not.
· If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
· When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.
 

21 comments:

  1. you're so good to your puppppers. [: they must love you so.

    this makes me want to take janey on a trip.

    [:

    eva.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! I HOPE they love me as much as I love them! I would love to take my boys on a long road trip! Charlie would LOVE that!

      Delete
  2. i love this post! i learned to be more forgiving from cyrus and i learned to be more calm and cautious from monty (he is also quick to jump at a noise). i love how you say charlie says 'i am who i am' so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Cyrus and Mowgli are playing together up in heaven!! They both passed away so close to the same time.. It's almost been a year now... and i really do think Charlie says that! His face always seems to have a huge grin. :)

      Delete
  3. So cute! I know my cat teaches me things, like not being afraid to walk away when someone makes you uncomfortable and that sometimes you have to remind people to respect your personal space...she also teaches me that 3am is a perfect time for belly rubs and milk.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha cute! Kitties can teach us some very good lessons too! Especially about food and personal space. ;)

      Delete
  4. i love both my puppies, and i do agree they can teach us some (p)awesome lessons. and they never seem to hold it over our heads that they've figured it all out before we have either. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, they aren't prideful enough for that. :)

      Delete
  5. this is super cute. i love the puppy pics too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! They are fun to take pictures of.. especially Wicket!

      Delete
  6. Awww, I love my (big) puppy. Dogs teach us so much! My brothers took dates to see Marley and Me and came home and both said they cried and their dates didn't. When my mom began to tease them, my brother said "Mom, neither of them have ever had a dog, they don't understand..." So true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was told to never watch that movie! It would make me cry like a baby!! Even writing this post made me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. It is a lesson everyone should learn. I would love to be a dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would too! They always seem to have so much fun. :)

      Delete
  9. awhh this iss SO SO CUTE!! (: i LOVE IT. rachael you are GORGEOUS. reallly. <3

    and nooo, DONT watch Marley & Me!! :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Yes.. when Mowgli passed away, my mom told me to never ever ever watch that movie. I cried 101 dalmatians for goodness sake!

      Delete
  10. so much truth in this post... i am always learning so much from my precious pups! my newest puppy, Hannah, is teaching me a great deal about patience and showing me that it's ok if everything isn't in the ''perfect place'', and Pete teaches me the joys of being laid back and letting loose every once in a while -- he is suuuuch a river dog!

    loved reading this :) xx, kara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy that each dog is so different that they teach a different lesson. I love that!

      Delete
  11. I love it.That's all.Made me have a tear...we lost one of our two dogs this past June, after a 14 years' journey...your post made me think about it <3 :) xox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!
Be sure to leave a link to YOUR blog so I can come say hi! xoxo